I feel so deeply, deeply sorry for all the people out there, still addicted to fairy cakes, kit kat, sugar frosted donuts and brownies.
But I feel even more sorry for those who are dieting, thinking they cannot afford to eat carbs – pancakes, sweets, chocolate, or bread.
Basically people usually assume they only have 2 options:
We only live once approach OR Discipline is everything approach.
(Oh, and I have been a member of both teams).
THANK HEAVEN that tons of research has paid off, amazing people share their know-how, and life is fair.
Personally, it used to be so freaking difficult for me to decide which is more important to me – either to indulge in the magical sweetness which makes life amazing, or to have my dream body, health and condition. This battle has been going on and on – you can imagine. Little did I know that I can have both. (Sound like a diet pill commercial? Nothing like that. I’m your fairy angel).
Before I go on , let me state some facts, just in case you are not aware of them.
- If you are serious about losing and maintaining ideal weight, you need to make certain dietary choices that will become your lifestyle. Nothing else will work.
- Number 1 sounds drastic and painful to most people – ‘You think I’ll eat vegetables every day for the rest of my life?’, ‘I’ll never get to eat cookies again?’ , ‘My life wouldn’t be as enjoyable anymore and I’m not willing to pay that price’ – NO. No, no , no. Neither of these statements are true and you’ll soon realize why.
- Simple carbs cause blood sugar spikes that lead to fatigue, foggy brain, irritability and other related symptoms. Therefore, on any diet, simple carbs and especially refined white sugar is exactly what you don’t want (never again). The good news is, that after 7 days of not eating refined sugar, your addiction and cravings for it will be gone. Also, there are so many other natural (no artificial shit) sweeteners that work the same and don’t make you addicted , such as honey, agave, maple syrup, stevia, coconut sugar and so on.
- The ‘secret’ to weight loss, (the one I’ve been ignoring for soooo long, wondering what am I doing wrong) is combining the right things together. In the end, It’s all about how your body processes the foods you have eaten, about Glycemic Index, the effect on insulin and so on. That is why it is so important to have protein+healthy fat+vegetable in most meals. Even with eating sweets, if there are nuts (healthy fat) and perhaps plain yoghurt (protein) present, it will not turn into fat. For example the effects of combining yoghurt with honey :
Yogurt and honey as a nutritive snack in moderation can also be a low calorie, nutrient-dense food providing an ideal balance of carbohydrates and protein. In mixing the nutritive content of honey with the amino acids in yogurt, you will aid your body in achieving ideal digestion.
Also, timing of carbs is crucial as well.
5. It’s not all about the carbs – the main purpose of a ”low carb diet ” (my way) is getting rid of processed and chemical foods, refined sugar, flour, and simple carbohydrates such as rice. However , it is not only recommended, but absolutely crucial to eat lots of leafy greens, vegetables, complex carbohydrates such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa and so on. If you really need to eat some bread or rice, the daily amount shouldn’t be bigger than what fits into your closed palms. Also, you need to have the right fiber intake (don’t skip fruit and add ons like flax/chia seeds).
I know diet plans (that people paid for..) that are based all on eliminating processed foods and white sugar, and people have lots tens of kilograms.
So, I am finally getting to my point. Healthy lifestyle (aka losing/maintaining ideal weight) is about balance and knowledge (that is why so many people make money on weight-loss programs.. I guess some people are just lazy to do their research, although most of the information out there is contradictory and confusing).
In order to achieve a healthy lifestyle, we all need some ‘cheat days’. No one can live on a strict diet forever. So how can we treat ourselves with sweets , without destroying all of our efforts? Based on what I said before, the main reasons for this generation’s obesity seems to be sugar addiction and eating of processed foods (leading to overeating , food addiction and disorders and so on). Therefore, the solution must be : to find desserts and snacks that are natural, low carb, even, and contain no refined white sugar and no chemicals.
I have been looking into the Raw deserts for a long time (since Raw = natural), and recently, I have discovered a site with low carb desserts (baked as well). These work, not only because their ingredients are natural, but also, because they are combined the right way. (I mean, just look at the owners of the websites. I’ve never seen slimmer people in my life. And look at the candy they’re making and eating every day).
FIRST QUESTION ANSWERED - I need bread
Then you shall have bread. Here is your recipe.
Eating ‘real’ bread for me means hell. It triggers some kind of a reaction and I can’t stop, and also, I crave food all the time. Not even mentioning that I can really see the effects of that on my body. Therefore, this bread is a gift from heaven.
SECOND QUESTION ANSWERED – I need chocolate, candy, cheesecake and pancakes
Oh, So do I. Look at these beauties (I’ve picked the simplest recipes that exist), but first, you’ll always need these ingredients:
- coconut oil (in most recipes.. super healthy, adds structure, healthy fat, slows sugar ‘attack’, yummy)
- natural sweetener (I like honey, but it’s not much better than sugar in some instances, so right now I’d say stevia is your best bet)
- cocoa powder
- cream cheese ( your argument about ‘getting fat from eating fats’ is irrelevant and unsound)
- coconut flour (if you want results that look and taste the same as ”the real thing”)
- nuts and dates
- others.. (vanilla extract, fruit)
PEANUTBUTTER fudge here
MINT cookies here
PIZZA crust or PANCAKE batter here
And guess what – none of these beauties have any flour or white sugar in them. And this is just a beginning.. There are tons and tons and tons of healthy recipes out there. Today I am making no-bake cheesecake.
One more treat.
1 MINUTE MUG CHEESECAKE here
Last but not least, Yes, there is a lot of controversy going on about what is right and what is wrong. Vegetarians and vegans would probably not appreciate this post at all. However, I have found out that high-protein diet works for me and makes me feel amazing, and that relates to my overall type of metabolism, and I’m not suggesting that it has to be right for you.
You need to find out for yourself how your body reacts to certain foods, how you feel, what your energy levels are and so on.
THE MAIN MESSAGE OF THIS POST is : Why ”treat” yourself by eating (no offence) shit that makes you feel bad ,fat, your skin bad and so on, when you can still have the same amazing experience with giving the body things that don’t poison it?